Information :: Holidays & Tourism
Helping you get away…
Looking for advice on how best to arrange travel plans whether for a day out or a longer holiday.
According to a leading travel provider, the average person in the UK takes more than 120 holidays in their lifetime. Living with a disability should not restrict anyone from being able to enjoy the full benefits of a relaxing day trip or a holiday.
Though travellers with a disability often face disadvantages, there are hundreds of locations and attractions across the world which are completely open to wheelchair users and those with other disabilities, as well as organisations which can help you live life to the full.
Don’t let your disability or that of a loved one determine when and where you can travel.
Rental firm Adapted Vehicle Hire works with a number of partner organisations which can help provide guidance and support to make it easier to travel on holiday whether at home or abroad:
- Tourism for All – The national charity dedicated to making tourism welcoming to all. Tourism for All works on behalf of disabled people, older people and carers of young people to overcome barriers to participation in tourism, highlighted accessible destinations and put you in touch with specialist firms and attractions.
- Can Do Holidays – A specialist travel service that offers disabled travellers adapted accommodation to suit their individual needs.
- OpenBritain.net – The UK’s biggest directory of accessible accommodation and travel.
- ABTA – For more than 60 years, ABTA has been at the heart of travel, helping people gain confidence in their travel experience.
- VisitBritain – The national tourism agency, responsible for marketing Britain worldwide and developing Britain’s visitor economy.
- Livability – The UK’s largest Christian disability charity which runs a wide range of services for disabled adults and children, including help in accessing suitable holiday accommodation and campaigning for the rights of disabled people.
- Wheelin Round The World – A film company specialising in creating travel documentaries and reviews from the point of view of the mobility-impaired. These films aim to increase accessibility worldwide and empower people to travel.