Support for carers
Useful information for carers, for whom helping a disabled person with their day-to-day life is the norm. There are currently six million unpaid carers in the UK looking after a family member or friend. Caring can take on many forms, from helping a person who has been injured in an accident through the recovery period, to providing constant, 24-hour support to someone with a permanent or long-term disability or illness.
Caring is a major and life-changing commitment that brings with it many considerations and challenges, so carers need to know where to turn when they too need help or information. Here are just a few of the trusted organisations relevant to carers that Adapted Vehicle Hire works with or can recommend:
- Carers UK – A charity set up to support the millions of people who care for family or friends.
- Carewell – A partnership between Bupa, Carers UK and MEND to help carers lead healthier and happier lives.
- Carers Direct – The NHS resource providing information, advice and support for carers.
- Carers Trust – (formerly the Princess Royal Trust for Carers and Crossroads Care) ‘The Trust understands that few of us plan to become carers, so when a caring role starts, every carer needs an expert to guide them through the maze of services, rules and entitlements.’
- Directgov (Caring for Someone) – Public services all in one place.
Also, visit Our Vehicles for information about our range of vehicles and adaptations to help get you on the road, whether you’re seeking a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV), or a specialist adapted vehicle for the disabled person you care for.